There are about 10 learning centers, but sometimes fewer depending on venue. Visitors are encouraged to stop at each station and spend as much or as little time as they wish. Student groups have a more structured schedule, moving in small groups from station to station and spending an allotted time at each one. Trained Cape Fear Audubon volunteers are present at each learning center to guide the explorations and answer birding questions.
Visitors to Discover the Wonders of Birds will take home answers to questions such as …
• Why do birds MIGRATE?
• How is FLIGHT possible for birds?
• What are the functions of FEATHERS?
• How do you use a birding FIELD GUIDE?
• What must birds have to SURVIVE?
• When does an OWL MAKE A PELLET?
• Is CLIMATE CHANGE affecting birds?
Now in its third year, Discover the Wonders of Birds is currently active with fourth-grade public school classroom programs throughout New Hanover County. Our lesson plans conform to NHCS curriculum requirements, and scheduling is coordinated through the county school system.